Sunday, September 1, 2013

S-T-R-E-T-C-H-I-N-G

Admit it.

You don't stretch like you should. 

ME neither.

Over the years I have learned something about myself. If I don't feel like running, (YES it even happens to me..I know SHOCK and AWE!!) it is likely due to one of these 3 reasons
  1. I need to stretch because I am sore, tight, or BOTH.
  2. I haven't taken in enough fuel that day (food or water).
  3. I haven't rested enough (sleep, easy running days or days off).
Once you know this about yourself, it is pretty easy to fix the problems. Today, let's focus on STRETCHING.

Remember to warm up a bit before stretching (either jogging or walking) and go EASY at first! You aren't going to look like the people in the pictures on day one unless you were a ballerina in your past life! Set your watch and just STRETCH for 5 to 10 minutes. Your body will thank you and you will prevent pesky injuries. I promise.

HAMSTRINGS

If I am feeling sore or my legs are tight HAMSTRINGS are likely part of the problem. Below are a few links to some GREAT hamstring stretches.

5 yoga poses to stretch hamstrings
Easy hamstring stretches

IT BAND

The iliotibial  band, or IT band, is the culprit for a lot of knee pain in runners. Learn more about this common injury here. Below are some links to show you how to stretch the IT band.

5 ways of stretching the IT band

Video demonstration of IT band stretch

Calves

If I have done hill or speed work, you can bet your money that my calves feel like they are going to explode. Below are my fave calf stretches!

Fave calf stretch number 1

Fave calf stretch number 2

Quads

Same story for the quadriceps. Speed work and hills make these super sore. I might not be the most dedicated to stretching, but I always work these into my workout. You should too.

gentle with this one if you have knee problems

feel the burn in a good way

Groin

You don't realize how much you use these muscles until you PULL one. If you have ever had a groin injury, you know what I am sayin!

groin goddess pose, good for the dudes too.

couldn't find a better pic of this one, but you get the jist


Arms and Abs

Don't neglect the upper body. I frequently get "cricks" in my shoulders, especially on long runs. For you non-southerners, a crick is crampy, annoying pain. Work it into your vocabulary, it makes you sound awesome.

arms and abs

This one is good for shoulder cricks


Ok, that is enough stretches to get you started. I REALLY encourage you to stretch for at least 5 minutes before and 5 minutes after your workout.  JUST DO IT. You will be LESS sore and decrease your chances of injury. You will thank THE PATTI PLAN, I promise.


GO S-T-R-E-T-C-H, RUN and S-T-R-E-T-C-H some more.
Happy Sunday!

Questions:

Are you a dedicated stretcher?

What area do you need to stretch the most?

What is your fave stretch?


No comments:

Post a Comment