Wednesday, August 14, 2013

a secret...just for followers. TRUST in THE PATTI PLAN

I have a secret...

This is an unknown but vital element in THE PATTI PLAN.

You don't have to run HARD every day

For the newbies...this might be news to you. I didn't realize this until college. The body MUST recover, rejuvenate, and heal in order to become stronger. Over-training leads to injuries, poor performance, and mental BURN out!
Easy runs are just as important as speed work. TRUTH be told, I only run hard one or two days a week. When a race is approaching, I back WAY off to make sure my body is 100% on race day. There is nothing harder on the MIND than having tired legs on race day! Veterans, you agree that recovery runs are KEY, right??

Today was an EASY day for me. I planned to go 3 to 4 miles with Decs in the running stroller. I even planned a pit stop at a park so he could get out and play while I did some stretching. Sounds lovely doesn't it???! IT WAS.

Mind vs. leg speed

Mile times were 9:21, 8:50, 8:46, and 8:30. 4.03 miles total. I mentally battled with myself after mile 1 not to run any faster (my first miles are always my slowest). I often find myself wanting to PUSH on days that are designated as easy runs. I felt so good! It was SO gorgeous outside. As you can see, my legs won over my mind on the last mile. Overall it was a pretty laid back/easy run. I am neither tired or sore. I should be able to go into speed work tomorrow FULL force!

 Decs got out and explored the sandbox and swing set after mile 3. As you can see he hated every minute.


that little face is THE BEST!

It was a GORGEOUS day here in Memphis..only 79 degrees..in August....I know! HOW absurdly amazing! Hope your run was just as lovely!

how far did you run?
what type of training is mentally tough for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment