Thursday, August 22, 2013

Jogging is a curse word to me.

Jogging vs Running

We traveled to Indianapolis for our annual family reunion a few weeks ago. I fell in LOVE with the city's runner friendly atmosphere. Unlike Memphis, there was NO humidity in August. There were NO bugs, mosquitos..NOTHING. The BEST thing of all is they have this AMAZING running path along a canal in the middle of downtown!

I stepped out of our centrally located hotel and had miles and miles of safe, traffic free paths RIGHT at my feet! Needless to say I had an awesome time!!


this is an awesome selfie I took along the canal. isn't it a gorgeous running path?? please ignore my goofy face. it is hard to run and take pics and I WAS really excited.


On Sunday, I was about 3 miles into a long run in pure BLISS when it happened. I was running along the canal and came upon a family who was walking with strollers and taking up the majority of the path. I gave my obligatory SOUTHERN bell "EXUUUUSE ME!!!!" and added a sweet smile that usually results in people scrambling out of my way.  THAT's when it happened!  The man instructed his family to " move over for the JOGGER".

I almost FELL into the canal...a JOGGER?? He must be JOKING!  I have never been called such a terrible thing in my life! I wear RUNNING shoes, RUNNING shorts and tanks, a RUNNING watch and RUNNING sunglasses! Even my ipod has a RUNNING armband and I listen to a RUNNING mix!!         I AM A RUNNER!!!

The term "jogger" brings to mind baggy gray SWEATSUITS and white sweatbands on the wrists and around the head. I picture someone moving SLOWLY at a (20 min/mile pace )and awkwardly ambling along . In my mind, a jogger has high-top Reeboks, ankle weights, thick sweat socks, and look like they are struggling.  I have never JOGGED in my life!!!  WHAT is happening ???!

As I relayed this event to my mom, she assured me this was a cultural/geographic term and it meant the same thing as "runner" does in Memphis. She tried hard to convince me, but I don't know if I buy it! What do you think??

Disclaimer: if you know me, you know I am majorly dramatizing and joking about being upset over this experience.........ok partially serious/mostly joking!

Questions:

 Do you think running and jogging are the same?

Do you think the use of the term depends on where you live in the country?

Do you consider yourself a runner or jogger???

7 comments:

  1. I'm from Frayser so let me explain the difference from my unique perspective. A jogger is a person wearing atheltic shorts, shirt, high dollar sneakers, and listening to the iPod. There's a sense they are enjoying themselves. A runners could be wearing any old thing (probably jeans and a T), sweating profusely, and looking over their shoulder (possibly carry a liberated TV). Hope this is of assistance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha-- a different perspective for sure- and a funny one. ;0)

      Delete
    2. Karen- you are hilarious and I can appreciate that perspective!!! :)

      Delete
  2. I started "running" for the very first time a couple of years ago. My friend and I used the Couch to 5K app. Our definition of "running" is ANY additional pace of our feet over the pace of walking. Speed has nothing to do with it. ;0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. love that definition! good for you! I know a lot of people who have done Couch to 5K. I think it is awesome!

      Delete
  3. OMG I live in Chicago and I have near heard any of my friends or co workers that run refer to anyone as a Jogger. Certainly can not be a Midwest thing. I have never someone say "Hey want to jog in the 5k this weekend" or "Let's meet up to train for our next jog". When I think of jogger I hear the 80s calling and it is full of swishy pants, sweat shirts, sweatband, and casualness. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. agree 100% with the 80s visualization Emily!!

    ReplyDelete