Saturday, August 17, 2013

The NEED for SPEED

TRUTH=runners who want to run FASTER do speedwork.

We are at the lake this weekend which means miles and miles of GREAT running routes. I had a blast today exploring. This goofy selfie is fab, I know. I was running a 7 min mile when I took it, so I was a tad winded.




 

 

 

I like SPEEDWORK because it trains my body to handle a faster pace. It makes my muscles stronger, my legs faster, my lungs more efficient and MOST importantly, my MIND stronger.


If you want to be faster, you NEED to do some speedwork.

There are a million different variations of speedwork. This week I did 400 meter repeats with negative splits. WHAT THE HECK DOES THAT MEAN??  let me break it down for you.


Warm up 5 minutes easy running

Run 400 meters (the length of 1 loop around a regulation track) pace should be slightly faster than your 5K pace. For example: If you run an 8 minute mile in a 5K race, your goal should be to complete the 400 meters in less than 2 minutes. Don't run as fast as you can...run at the GOAL pace. The KEY here is to do all repeats slightly faster than the one before (also known as negative splits).

WARNING: If you go ALL out on lap number 1, you WON'T be able to finish the work out. true story.

After the first 400 meters jog approximately 200 to 400 meters and REPEAT.

I did 6 repeats with a 200 meter jog in between to catch my breath.

Lap #1 1:49
Lap #2 1:49
Lab #3 1:47
Lap #4 1:44
Lap# 5 1:43
Lap #6 1:41

Cool down 5 to 10 minutes easy running.

You don't have to do this workout on a track. Estimate the distance, actually measure the distance or just set a goal time. For example run HARD for 2 minutes, jog for 2 minutes and repeat.

Start out doing 4 reps and work your way up to 6 or 8. You WILL get faster. If you want to be FASTER, this is the workout you need to do.
If I still haven't convinced you that you NEED some SPEED in your life, check out this Runner's World article and get moving.

Hope you all had a happy Saturday.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment