Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Marathon Bucket List



A girl can dream.


I have a bucket list for running and one for all other elements of life.  I love setting goals and checking them off one at a time. SO GRATIFYING! (Yes, I am a tiny bit type A)


Family time dominates my life right now and I LOVE IT!  HOWEVER,  I know that someday the baby will be more self-sufficient and I will have a bit more time on my hands.  For now, I’ll stick to bettering my 5K times! This BUCKET LIST will be tackled in the future!!!!
 
This little gem was taken after I finished the Country Music Marathon. Phillip and Jennifer were awesomely supportive and cheered for me! I remember being tired, thrilled, exhausted and definitely hooked on doing more marathons!
 
 
 

THE PATTI PLAN's

MARATHON BUCKET LIST

 
#6 Little Rock Marathon                  early March
I run for the experience, for the feeling of accomplishment, BUT when I run Little Rock it will be for the MEDAL! This race boasts one of the biggest finisher medals of all time! I have seen one up close and far away and they don't lie! That thing is huge! 26.2 miles for a medal that size is WORTH it!
 
#5 BIG SUR International Marathon          late April

26.2 Miles along the California coastline from Big Sur to Carmel??!!! Yes please! I have obsessed over this marathon since seeing the pics in Runner's World a few years ago. The views and scenery look amazing. I once drove Highway 1 with my sister and I remember the hills, curves, and cliffs were pretty intense in a car. I can't wait to challenge myself on foot! This will be memorable, no doubt!

#4) Bank of America Chicago Marathon        mid October

A marathon in Chicago means getting to run through what I believe is one of the BEST cities in the world!! This one has been on the bucket list ever since I saw Spirit of the Marathon (if you are a runner who hasn't seen this movie, you must NETFLIX it immediately!). I have been a tourist in Chicago MANY times, but to get to RUN through the city on a perfect October day???!! Sounds like heaven to me!

#3 St. Jude Memphis Marathon       early December

Near and dear to my heart, in the city I grew up in and love, this one is a no-brainer. I have run the half marathon that coincides with this race and I can tell you it was one of the most emotional experiences of my life. Seeing the kids and families of St. Jude cheering for you as you run through the hospital campus is something you won't soon forget. Sign up as a HERO and raise money for the hospital! This might be the first one on the list I attempt to tackle...December 2014!

#2 Boston                                     late April

This race has been on the list since high school. It is the holy grail of running events and really difficult to qualify for! After the events of last year, I am more determined than ever to run Boston! I refuse to let those that are evil instill fear in me or rob me of my dreams.
As of the times posted for 2014, I must run a qualifying marathon under 3 hours and 35 minutes in order to be eligible to run Boston. I know I can do it, but it will take some work!


and the ultimate GOAL and DREAM.......
 
#1 Dopey Challenge Walt Disney World           mid January

48.6 miles in 4 days??! They don’t call it a CHALLENGE for nothing!  Run over a long weekend in January, this experience includes a 5K on a Thursday, 10K Friday, ½ marathon Saturday and FULL marathon Sunday. To get the Dopey Challenge medal, you have to complete all 4 races within the allotted time. I think this would be a BLAST!!! The only prohibitive factor is cost. I might need my own fundraiser to afford the $999.00 entrance fee!  I WILL do this challenge some day!!! Count on it.
 
 
QUESTIONS:
What marathons are on your bucket list?
Would you consider doing the Dopey Challenge?? Doesn't it sound awesome!!!??!!

11 comments:

  1. My dream marathons would be the New York Marathon because NY will always be my first home. St. Jude would also be on my list because my dad ran the First Tennessee marathon many times so it would be nice to continue the tradition of a Memphis marathon. Chicago since I live here, it is so close. and I hear it is a good course. I would also love to do a Disney Marathon or even any Disney run. I have heard such good things about them! First I need to conquer my first 10K next month in Milwaukee. Good luck Patti, I hope you get to do them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily- what a great list!!! Good luck to you on the upcoming 10K!! You will rock it! Let me know how it goes!!!

      Delete
  2. Nice list. I got a one of your races checked off - Chicago - and will be checking one ore off in January, I'm running the Dopey. I'd love to qualify for Boston one day and the Big Sur just sounds fantastic. I had no idea the Little Rock Marathon had such a cool medal. I have the Marathon Majors as a bucket list item, although the kids will need to be a little older for all the traveling required. I still think we should run Chicago in 2014 and get Denise to run with us. Nice job with the blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Augusto-
      I need a FULL race recap on the Dopey Challenge! I am so jealous!!
      Yes! Chicago 2014 is a done deal! Let me know when registration is...I saw it was FULL this year.
      How in the world do you go about training for the Dopey?? Are you guys making a vacation out of it too??

      Delete
    2. I will certainly give you a recap, hopefully with 4 complete races. Yay, 2014 race schedule shaping up! Yes, registration is early in year, this year active.com had all sorts of problems with the Chicago Marathon, they had to do a lottery for about 1/3 of the entries I think because too many people couldn't get through their systems. They also had issues with the Marine Corps Marathon and ended up donating all of their fees to a veteran fund I think. I managed to sign up for the MCM so that's my next full, Oct 27. Training for Dopey is fun but time consuming, lots and lots of slow miles, almost like training for an ultra I guess. Can't wait for ChiMarathon 2014!

      Delete
    3. I didn't know that active.com had such issues! good luck with the MCM, that sounds like a lot of fun!

      Delete
  3. Go girl!! When you do the Dopey Challenge, I will come to Orlando and cheer you on! Then we can ride Space Mountain over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. putting you on the books I love Disney world!!

      Delete
  4. I am so in for Chicago 2014! I think the registration is in January, so we will have to remind each other! Also want to do the St. Jude full again! Big Sur is also on my list. Would actually love to join you for all of these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. done deal!!Chicago next October!!!

    ReplyDelete